(Australian, fl. 1898-1918) - Excellent Ship Portrait of
the German Barque *Antuco* (of Hamburg) sailing to Australia,
ca. 1900 - the vessel is shown under full sail at moderate sea
off a Rock Headland with a light house and with two-masted vessel
in the background - Oil on artist`s board - 48 by 62,5 cm (19 by
24 inch), with frame 62 x 76 cm (24 by 30 inch) - inscribed on the
bow with the ship`s name and signed lower right "W. Edgar,
Charlestown Studios, NSW - cleaned and in good condition - Private
Collection, Memphis (TN), U.S.A.
Note: The large steel Barque "Antuco"
(75 Meter Lenght, 1532 Tons) was built in 1892 by Blohm & Voss
and owned by the Hamburg Shipping Company N.H.P. Schuldt. Captains
in command were D. Thedens (1892), H.N. Spiess (1893-1900) and W.
Kröger (1901-07). It was a highly appreciated ship by both
the owners and captains & crew and many fast travels to Southern
America and Australia were noted. In 1908 Antuco was sold to the
Hamburg Shipping Company of 1896 and Capt. L. Müller was in
command until 1912 when it was finally sold to Grimstad. Click here
or on the image to see larger illustrations